- Ph.D., Policy Analysis & Management, Cornell University, 2015
- M.A., Policy Analysis & Management, Cornell University, 2014
- B.A., Economics, Brigham Young University, 2009
Peer Reviewed Publications
“The Competitive Effects of Online Education.” With David Deming and Michael Lovenheim. Forthcoming in Productivity in Higher Education (Caroline Hoxby and Kevin Stange, Eds.). Also published as NBER Working Paper No. 22749. 2017
- “Innovation in Education.” With Jordan Matsudaira. In Dominic Brewer and Lawrence Picus, editors. Encyclopedia of Education Economics and Finance. Sage Publications. 2015.
- “Faculty Members on Boards of Trustees.” With Ronald Ehrenberg and Andrew Key. Academe. 2013.
Papers Under Review
Working Papers and Projects
- “Solving the Planning Fallacy: Experimental Evidence from an Online University.” With Nolan Pope.
“The Effects of Behavioral Interventions on Consumer Protection Utilization.” With Benjamin Castleman and William Skimmyhorn.
“Parental Absence and Human Capital Development: Evidence from Quasi-Random Deployments.” With Andrew Johnston and David Lyle.
- “Fungibility, Labels, and Large Purchases: Evidence from Servicemember Housing Decisions.” With Susan Carter.
Fellowships, Grants, & Awards
- 2014-2015 National Academy of Education/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship. $25,000.
- 2014 Russell Sage Foundation. Small Grants in Behavioral Economics. $6,000.
- 2014 Cornell Population Center Rapid Response Grant. $800.
- 2012 Cornell Institute for Social Science Small Grants Program. With Jordan Matsudaira. $10,000.
- 2009 Brigham Young University Office of Research and Creative Activities (ORCA) student grant. $1,500.
- 2007 Brigham Young University Introductory Economics Teaching Assistant of the Semester.
- 2016 Ideas 42; Association for Education Finance and Policy; NBER Higher Education Productivity Conference (co-author presented); Western Economic Association, Northeast Economics of Education Workshop.
- 2015 Analysis Group; Cornell University; Mathematica; Southern Economics Association; United States Military Academy; American Education Research Association meetings (poster).
- 2014 BYU Graduate Student Conference; Utah State University; Western Economic Association.
- 2013 Western Economic Association.
- 2011 AAEA-Behavioral Economics & Child Nutrition; American Marketing Association.
- Instructor for SS390, Behavioral Economics
- Instructor for SS201, Principles of Economics
Referee: American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Economics of Education Review, Economic Inquiry, Education Economics, Journal of Human Capital, Journal of Human Resources