Academic Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Economics, United States Military Academy at West Point, 2015-Present
- Director of Long-Run Research, Office of Economic and Manpower Analysis, 2018-Present
- CESifo Research Network Affiliate, 2017-Present
- IZA Research Affiliate
- Global Labor Organization Fellow
- Ph.D., Policy Analysis & Management, Cornell University, 2015
- M.A., Policy Analysis & Management, Cornell University, 2014
- B.A., Economics, Brigham Young University, 2009
- Applied Microeconomics, Economics of Education, Behavioral Economics, Labor Economics
Peer Reviewed Publications
- “Can Behavioral Tools Improve Online Student Outcomes? Experimental Evidence from a Massive Open Online Course.” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 2018.
- “Computers and Productivity: Evidence from Laptop Use in the College Classroom.” With Robert Patterson. Economics of Education Review. 2017.
- “Charter School Unionization and Student Outcomes.” With Jordan Matsudaira. Economics of Education Review, 2017.
- “Could Trends in Time Children Spend with Parents Help Explain the Black-White Gap in Human Capital? Evidence from The American Time Use Survey.” Education Economics. 2017.
- “Reputation Tapping.” With Bradley Rickard and Jill McCluskey. European Agricultural Economic Review. 2015.
- “Pornography, Religion, and the Happiness Gap: Does Pornography Impact the Actively Religious Differently?” With Joseph Price. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. 2012.
- “The Competitive Effects of Online Education.” With David Deming and Michael Lovenheim. Forthcoming in Productivity in Higher Education (Caroline Hoxby and Kevin Stange, Eds.). Also published as NBER Working Paper No. 22749
- “Innovation in Education.” With Jordan Matsudaira. In Dominic Brewer and Lawrence Picus, editors. Encyclopedia of Education Economics and Finance. Sage Publications. 2015.
- “Faculty Members on Boards of Trustees.” With Ronald Ehrenberg and Andrew Key. Academe. 2013.
Papers Under Review
- “Attribution Bias in Major Decisions: Evidence from Major Choice at the United States Military Academy." With Kareem Haggag, Nolan Pope, and Aaron Feudo.
- “The Effects of Behavioral Interventions on Consumer Protection Utilization.” With Benjamin Castleman and William Skimmyhorn. Revise and Resubmit at Economics of Education Review.
- “Lack of Study Time is the Problem, but What is the Solution? Unsuccessful Attempts to Help Traditional and Online College Students.” With Phil Oreopoulos, Uros Petronijevic, and Nolan Pope. Also Published as NBER Working Paper No. 25036
Working Papers and Projects
- “Timing is (Nearly) Everything in College Major Choice.” With Nolan Pope and Aaron Feudo.
- “Parental Absence and Human Capital Development: Evidence from Quasi-Random Deployments.” With Andrew Johnston and David Lyle.
- “The Effects of Email Prompts and Targets on Savings Contributions.” With Tatiana Homonoff, Jacob Goldin, and William Skimmyhorn.
- “Actively Choosing How to Use Post 9-11 GI-Bill Benefits. Evidence from the Field. ” With Benjamin Castleman, Francis Murphy, and William Skimmyhorn.
Fellowships, Grants, & Awards
- 2014-2015 National Academy of Education/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship. $25,000.
- 2014 Russell Sage Foundation. Small Grants in Behavioral Economics. $6,000.
- 2014 Cornell Population Center Rapid Response Grant. $800.
- 2012 Cornell Institute for Social Science Small Grants Program. With Jordan Matsudaira. $10,000.
- 2009 Brigham Young University Office of Research and Creative Activities (ORCA) student grant. $1,500.
- 2007 Brigham Young University Introductory Economics Teaching Assistant of the Semester.
- 2019 (scheduled) University of Oregon; University of California, San Diego
- 2018 Brigham Young University; University of Alaska; University of Pittsburgh ; Southern Economics Association; Western Economics Association; Northeast Economics of Education Workshop
- 2017 APPAM; Wesleyan University; Southern Economics Association; Western Economics Association
- 2016 Ideas 42; Association for Education Finance and Policy; NBER Higher Education Productivity Conference (co-author presented); Western Economic Association, Northeast Economics of Education Workshop.
- 2015 Analysis Group; Cornell University; Mathematica; Southern Economics Association; United States Military Academy; American Education Research Association meetings (poster).
- 2014 BYU Graduate Student Conference; Utah State University; Western Economic Association.
- 2013 Western Economic Association.
- 2011 AAEA-Behavioral Economics & Child Nutrition; American Marketing Association.
- Instructor for SS390, Behavioral Economics
- Instructor for SS201, Principles of Economics
- Referee: American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Contemporary Economic Policy, Economics of Education Review, Economic Inquiry, Education Economics, Education Finance and Policy, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Human Capital, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Public Economics